Importance of Self-care for Women
Women are often the primary caretakers for their families, which can lead to us neglecting our own needs. We take care of our children, our partners, our parents, our jobs, and everything else in between, but sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves. This can lead to us feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, and burnt out.
Benefits of Self-care
Self-care is important for women for a number of reasons.
- Helps relax and recharge: When we take care of ourselves, it helps us relax and recharge. For example, working out can release endorphins and reduce our stress levels. This reduces the impact of stress on our bodies and helps us feel better overall.
- Promotes healthy habits: With self-care, we're more likely to develop and maintain healthy habits. This includes eating well, exercising, and getting enough sleep. All of these things are important for our overall health and wellbeing.
- Improves energy levels: We run on a finite amount of energy each day. When we take care of ourselves, we're able to increase our energy levels and be more productive. Remember, we can't pour from an empty cup.
- Leads to better decision making: When we're well-rested, nourished, and taking care of ourselves, we're able to make better decisions. We're more clear-headed and less likely to make impulsive decisions that we may later regret.
- Helps us take better care of others: When we're taking care of ourselves, we're able to take better care of others. We're more patient, more understanding, and more likely to be there for the people we love.
How to Find Time for Self-care?
When we are overwhelmed, stressed out, and burnt out, the last thing we want to do is add one more thing to our plate. But self-care doesn't have to be time-consuming or expensive. It can be something as simple as taking a few minutes each day for yourself. Here are some ideas:
- Wake up 10 minutes early each day to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea in silence.
- Take a break from work to go for a walk outside.
- Talk to your partner about helping with the kids or housework so you can have some free time.
- Ask your children to chip in around the house.
- Put your phone away an hour before bed and read a book or take a bath.
- Meal prep on the weekends so you have healthy food options during the week.
- Schedule time for yourself each week and put it in your calendar.
- Say no to things that you don't have time for or don't want to do.
- Find a therapist or counsellor to talk to if you're feeling overwhelmed.
The key to self-care is that you feel refreshed, recharged and rejuvenated after doing it. It should be something that you enjoy and look forward to. And most importantly, it should be something that you make time for.